Fly Fishing Rod and Reel for Beginners
Cheap fly fishing rod and reel combos
Rods, presented below, really cheap. They can recommend to beginners. However, one of them can be bought, and the second is not recommended. Crystal River Executive Travel Fly only fifteen dollars more expensive than St. Croix Premier Ice Combo. But I think it’s worth it.
Crystal River Executive Travel Fly Spinning Rod
- Rod: 7-ft. length, in 7 easy to assemble sections. High-modulus graphite for good flex, good strength. Comfort-grip foam handle. #4/5 line wt. for fly rod medium 6-14 lb. spinning rod.
- Fly Reel: graphite rim, convenient quick-change spool. For right or left hand use. Single pawl drag. #4/5 wt.
- Spinning Reel: Smooth, long-cast ball bearing drive, with adjustable drag. Aluminum spool. Adjusts to right or left hand retrieve. Gear Ratio: 4.8:1. line capacity: 4 lbs. / 160 yds.
- PLUS a tough-woven 15 x 8 x 3? carry case, with protective foam insert to hold the individual parts.
St. Croix Premier Ice Combo
The solid carbon blank is durable and extremely sensitive with stainless steel guides and a traditional cork handle. The aluminum body PS250 ice reel has 3 ball bearings, infinite anti-reverse, and aluminum spool.
I would not recommed this combo to anyone, not even a beginner. The rod is what you would expect from St. Croix, very sensitive yet durable. However, I was surprised St. Croix would put their name on the reel. The drag system was faulty. I thought it was just the one I ordered, so I asked for a replacement. Same thing…the reel’s drag system does not work appropriately. Get the Gander series combo instead and save yourself a few dollars.
Fly rod and reel case
I would recommend the White River Fly Shop Tri Fly Rod and Reel Case. It means you don’t have to empty your wallet to find high-quality protection for your favorite fly rod and reel. The best fly rod and reel insurance available, the Tri Fly Rod and Reel Case features rugged 1000 denier Cordura material over a durable PVC protective tube. The triangular-shaped tube increases impact resistance while preventing it from rolling around.
- Features: 1000 denier Cordura material
- Durable PVC protective tube
- Reel portion is padded and lined
- Anti-scuff pad on bottom
- Carry handle and adjustable shoulder strap
This is the third White River Fly Rod and Reel case that I buy. Two for three piece rods and one for a long two piece. A guy that buys three (not at the same time) must find the product pretty good, which it is. One of the rods is an antique (circa 1890) bamboo. I trust this case as much as I trust my metal cases. Good stuff.
Fly fishing rod and reel holder
If you intend to fish from shore, you do not need a fishing rod holder. Although very comfortable fishing rod holders with rubber Velcro. For example, they can be mounted on a car windshield. You do not stomp on them and not break anything.
However, if you really need rods holders, pay attention to Attwood. For example, I liked the Sure Grip Steel Horizontal Fishing Rod Holder. Designed for drift fishing, pan fishing, crappie, and more, these Sure Grip fishing rod holders are extremely tough. Stainless steel stems and wing nuts ensure corrosion-resistance, while UV-resistant plastic coating protects the rod butt and handle. Includes flush mounting base.